India’s first and only private Gamma Irradiation Agro Processing Facility (GRAPF) exclusively for agricultural produce.
And also India’s First & Only Food Park to have an integrated facility of both the APEDA Pack House & Gamma Irradiation for Fruit and vegetable export.
The only food park that employs “GAMMA IRRADIATION FACILITY” to decontaminate food; inhibition of sprouting in onions, potatoes, ginger & garlic; delay ripening in fruits viz., mangoes, banana, strawberries, pomegranate, pineapple, etc.; quarantine treatment for import/export of food commodities; insect disinfestations in cereals, pulses, fruits & vegetables; elimination of microbial contamination in spices & herbs; extension of shelf life in food commodities; prevent foodborne infection by destroying spoilage due to microbes, pathogens & parasites and sterilization of medical & allied products.
Innova Agri Bio Park owns and operates India’s first and only private low-dose Gamma Irradiation Facility designed exclusively for the processing of agricultural commodities. The facility was set up under technical collaboration with Board of Radiation & Isotope Technology (BRIT ), Department of Atomic Energy (DAE), Government of India.
Application of ionizing radiation using gamma rays can serve many purposes, such as eliminating organisms that cause food-borne illness, destroying organisms that cause spoilage and decomposition, controlling quarantine insects to prevent their spread, inhibiting sprouting and delaying ripening and de-contamination of food commodities.
- Inhibit sprouting in onions, potatoes, ginger and garlic.
- Delay ripening in fruits like mangoes, strawberries, lychee, pomegranate, pineapple, etc.
- Quarantine treatment for import/export of food commodities.
- Insect disinfestation of cereals and pulses.
- Eliminate microbial contamination in spices.
1. Food Security & Supply Chain Management
a. Control sprouting in stored Tubers and Bulbs
- Reduce storage losses due to sprouting
- Reduce dehydration losses (PWL)
- Reduce power requirements
- Reduce supply chain losses
- Retain market and processing quality
- Stabilize market price
b. Control Infestation of Stored Grain
- Prevent storage losses due to insect infestation
- Eliminate repeated use of chemicals
- No chemical residues
- No impact on environment
- Reduce food inflation
c. Delay Ripening & Senescence
- Delay ripening & senescence in F&V
- Extend shelf life
- Allow storage at higher temperature
- Improve marketability and processing ability
d. Ensuring Food Safety & Quality
- Eliminate food borne parasites
- Eliminate food borne pathogens
- Allow chilled storage
- Prevent cross contamination
e. International Market Access to Fruits & Vegetables
- Destroying quarantine pests
- Value addition
- Allow access to international markets
f. Reducing Bio-burden in Allied Products
Cutflowers, Nutraceutials, Herbal & Ayurvedic Products, Cattle feed, Dog & Pet food, packaging materials & containers, cosmetic products